• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: When a scout isn't a scout...

infojunky

SOC-14 1K
Peer of the Realm
From Supplement 7, Scout description.

The rear section (13) serves many purposes; on scouts, it carries laboratory and sensor equipment; on couriers, it carries communication equipment and data banks; on detached duty ships, it is cleared out and become a lounge for the crew. (Pg. 16)

Looking at this not all 100ton Scout boats have the full set of military sensors.

The space in question appears to be part of the bridge is allocated to this.

Now from this for other (non-military) ships say a additional 4 tons to bridge space to upgrade the sensors… The question is how to price them.

Hmm I missed that.

Might be an interesting twist to have the better sensors be assigned to highly favored detached scouts.

The Scoutship isn't actually optimized for modularization, though that tends to come first to mind if you want to easily switch out equipment.

Adventure 00: The Imperial Fringe details the "detached duty" configuration (courier data transmitters stripped and refitted as a lounge) a bit further.

I remember alarmingly clearly getting my hopes up in 1985 or 6, when I ordered High Guard from GDW, that the book would clarify:

1) ship's sensor operations and the specific distinctions between military and civilian sensors and ESPECIALLY
2) How fast and how long exactly do cr5000 missiles run?

So as much as I love High Guard now, my immediate reaction when the book arrived was massive disappointment.

(And it was decades further before I beheld the can of worms that is SS3)

Adventure 00: The Imperial Fringe details the "detached duty" configuration (courier data transmitters stripped and refitted as a lounge) a bit further.
Which raises the question: with that nominal 3Td space not occupied by an electronics payload, does the Type S still have "scout/military" grade sensors? Also, the deck plans in A0 appear to have two separate cargo bays: the courier data transmitter bay/lounge (assuming that it's not somehow part of the bridge tonnage), and the forward bay by the nose landing gear.

Note Adventure 0 was written after Supplement 7, as such the description in Adventure 0 is a subset of Supplement 7.

Which raises the question: with that nominal 3Td space not occupied by an electronics payload, does the Type S still have "scout/military" grade sensors?
I think that's certainly the implication. Seems like it would make the Detached Duty Scouts less useful, no?

Maybe a base Type S has the scout/military grade sensors. It is the plug in electronic payload that's special.

1. An actual survey suite that piggybacks off the sensors, akin to a discrete gpu for a PC.
2. A data vault with higher speed data bus for a courier.
3. A lab will it's own specialized gear to do it's thing.
4. An electronic surveillance / warfare suite.

It would seem senseless to rip out that kit if any addons are dependent upon it. The amount of time effort and energy involved would be insane. They should be deployable with minimal delay.

Deploying a gimped DD scout is like jamming a stick in a marines eye, giving him a cap gun and tell him to bring back the Empresses diary.

Hmm I missed that.

Might be an interesting twist to have the better sensors be assigned to highly favored detached scouts.
I've long used multiple receipts to improve the quality of the ship issued. A low quality Donosev is 4 receipts... An airframe S is 2 receipts. Having it under 50 years old costs an extra, having a specific mission kit in the bay is an extra.

Back