• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why liquid hydrogen?

Perhaps this is an opportunity to re-examine the entire presupposition behind “refined” versus “unrefined” fuel.

[…] What exactly was being refined from the raw gas giant “gas”.

So let’s go back to basics and brainstorm without any prior preconceptions or presuppositions, other than that Fusion is occurring in the Power-Plant.

What specific isotopic fuel(s) are necessary for the Fusion reaction of the Power Plant Reactor and/or Jump Drive?
I’d imagined a deuterium–tritium mix as being necessary for fusion, with “refining” used to maximize the proportion of paradeuterium spin isomers in the deuterium molecules. “Unrefined” fuel would use “as found” deuterium in the deuterium–tritium mix, where orthodeuterium spin isomers would be the “contaminants” that might cause drive failure, and which would need to be “flushed” to restore drive functionality.

:unsure:
ouC1Mij.gif
:unsure:

Well ... you don't have to shovel it in all at once do you? :rolleyes:

You can just shovel that block of metallic hydrogen in at a rate of around 1 cubic foot per minute, right? :unsure:

ouC1Mij.gif

No no no ... you just need a shovel that can scoop up the "loose gravel" of coal metalic hydrogen from the tender walk in fuel hopper! 😅

ouC1Mij.gif

Somehow, I suspect that such a ... favorable outcome ... is not going to be on the cards dealt to us by real reality. :confused:

I also suspect that the stoker is really happy that they upgraded the Fission Plant . . .

But could a collector station transfer its accumulator "jump particles" to a ship's accumulator?

These are accumulators, sweeping up exotic particles captured by a canopy and removing the need to carry separate fuel for the jump drive. This charge is released in a single spike to power a jump drive; collectors cannot be used for normal ship operations.

That doesn't answer the question.

Could you build a station that uses a collector to fill up accumulators with "jump particles" and then transfer the accumulator or the "jump particles" to the accumulator on a ship?

Makes battle riders even more desirable.
True, but it also makes the tenders incredibly vulnerable.
The battle riders can get pretty scary, but the tenders to transport them cannot just "gas and go" like you can with a fusion power plant.

However, depending on the mission tasking or intended role, that may or may not be that big of a deal. Depends on how you want to operate, as well as the training and doctrine put into practice.

In a civilian merchant role, I can certainly see the appeal of having a starship tender that spends a week maneuvering through a "sundiver" orbit while the "commerce rider" craft maneuvers to the mainworld to conduct business during the week before maneuvering outbound to a rendezvous point to dock with the starship tender and jump out of the system. Basically the Annic Nova but done with "proper" maneuver drives on the starship tender and a massive hangar bay for the "commerce rider" non-starship that can "touch grass" when needed.

Could you build a station that uses a collector to fill up accumulators with "jump particles" and then transfer the accumulator or the "jump particles" to the accumulator on a ship?
As with all of these notions, while it may be possible, as "documented", as presented in history and lore, it's just Not Done.

Perhaps the burning 1000's of tons of fuel in a heartbeat and consume vast amount of hull space is not the only way to facilitate jump, but folks who know jump, and space ships, and travel, and power, and have been doing this for 100s, if not 1000s of years seem to, "wisdom of the crowds" agree that it's the best way to move ships between the stars. If there was a cheaper, more efficient way to do it, the Mega Corps would do it.

And they don't. Must be a reason, even if unsaid. One of those "Why don't we do it this way?" "What, are you stupid? Did you not read the journals from 400 years ago, or hear about the Endeavor incidents and how they were part and parcel to the downfall of the Mega Corp 'Glorious Visions'? Stop talking nonsense, and get those tanks filled. We jump in 24 hours."

One option for "why it is not done" is that the Collector sail gets deployed into Jumpspace as a radiator/heat-sink. Fold before jumpspace entry, and again before exit into normal space.

The sail material also serves as a jump grid (because it's already exotic -- what's one more bit of weirdness?), so expanding it out to and past the jump bubble perimeter does not change the enclosed volume; instead, the bubble conforms (attaches) to the outer surfaces of the sail.

I would think that manipulating the Jump bubble size/shape/volume could have some nasty side effects.

I was thinking that collecting exotic particle from Jump space could be an interesting mission idea .....
I just wouldn't want to encourage some kind of a "self refilling" jump drive.

I was thinking that collecting exotic particle from Jump space could be an interesting mission idea .....
I just wouldn't want to encourage some kind of a "self refilling" jump drive.
Those particular particles may not exist in Jump Space.

On the other hand, you might just have hit on the Jumpspace version of the Bussard Ramjet (Wikipedia).

MInd you, apparently science says that they probably wouldn't work (interstellar medium is too thin, fusion reaction wouldn't generate enough power -- but another type of fusion reaction might). Luckily for us, Traveller simulates Science Fiction...

Last edited:
That's not the default?

No.

There's a formula that has to do with length times breadth, or something.

I forget, and the intent is to ensure that the bubble is large enough to enclose it, though you have to wonder how that works if you're towing something.

Personally, I think it would depend on volume of fuel used, divided by jump factor, which might make really skinny starships have part(s) of the hull outside the bubble.

though you have to wonder how that works if you're towing something.
Just make sure the "extra stuff" fits within the projected bubble shape of the jump field.
Personally, I think it would depend on volume of fuel used, divided by jump factor, which might make really skinny starships have part(s) of the hull outside the bubble.
Nah. Their hulls just cost more than the more consolidated/compact alternative shapes, due to the requirement of shaping the jump field in such a way as to need more surface area for a smaller volume (a sphere is the largest volume for the smallest surface area).

That's (part of) why Configuration: 1 costs more to build than Configuration: 2.

Back