• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Describe YOUR 2300 world/universe

Or just use conveniently located brown dwarfs (dwarves?) or rogue planets.

As other people have said there is the Wolf cluster out at the end of the French Arm. Great place to be cut off from the rest of humanity during the Kaefer War that can lead to some good adventure. There is the Beta Aquilae Cluster if you have 2320AD and want to use one of those Brown Dwarfs they just happened to find in just the right place.

Yeah, those are good options. I wonder what the effect would be if the drive range was opened up to 8.9 LY as misprinted in V1 of 2300 for the Trilon explorer ship.

As other people have said there is the Wolf cluster out at the end of the French Arm. Great place to be cut off from the rest of humanity during the Kaefer War that can lead to some good adventure. There is the Beta Aquilae Cluster if you have 2320AD and want to use one of those Brown Dwarfs they just happened to find in just the right place.

Yeah, those are good options. I wonder what the effect would be if the drive range was opened up to 8.9 LY as misprinted in V1 of 2300 for the Trilon explorer ship.

Go for it if you want but for that is to much trouble as it effects for to many other things. Things like Brown Dwarfs without all the extra work that come from increasing the range on Stutterwarp, plus you can always making the finding of the way to get there an adventure.

Point well taken, although I want to move it beyond the Kafer war, into a more "Travelleresque" future of adventure and Space Opera.

Go for it if you want but for that is to much trouble as it effects for to many other things. Things like Brown Dwarfs without all the extra work that come from increasing the range on Stutterwarp, plus you can always making the finding of the way to get there an adventure.

My 2300 setting was pretty much vanilla, but with no clear hyperpower, which allowed me to put greater emphasis on both multinational cooperation and rivalry. The Kafers were still limited to their presence to Aurore as I was, along with my players, having more fun with human adversaries (you can still have nice combat scenes, but you can also deceive/rescue/infiltrate/con them, which gave my group a wider range of options).

The player characters were mostly French operatives of some sort (we're French after all, and I have a soft spot for investigation-based scenarios which are easier to write when the characters act in some official position), but with hindsight I regret not having made the whole game about working for RebCo, for maximum scenario flexibility.

I must have been one of the few who liked the Earth/Cybertech sourcebook. I mixed Cyberpunk and T2300 quite a bit back in the day.

With hindsight the provolutionists were an ideal way of introducing transhumanism to the setting, and I would have much preferred more info and adventures with them as the antagonists than going down the Kafer War dead end.

The next time I run T2300 it will be a definite mix of THS, T2300 and CoC...

I must have been one of the few who liked the Earth/Cybertech sourcebook. I mixed Cyberpunk and T2300 quite a bit back in the day.

With hindsight the provolutionists were an ideal way of introducing transhumanism to the setting, and I would have much preferred more info and adventures with them as the antagonists than going down the Kafer War dead end.

The next time I run T2300 it will be a definite mix of THS, T2300 and CoC...

I must confess the cybertech/slums part felt a bit off-brand. For me, it felt as ,if, at that time, all GDW games were being pulled to the same "dark, gritty sordid reality" atmosphere, which was very different from the earlier tone of the games: the Rebellion in MegaTraveller was turning genocidal instead of bold and adventurous, the daring, exploring nations rivalling in 2300AD were social dystopias dancing on top of a volcano, in Dark Conspiracy corrupt corporations and hideous demons were propagating misery... even Space:1889 was starting to turn dark! I remember realizing with some surprise that Twilight:2000, despite of its post-apocalyptic setting, now was the most optimistic GDW game covered by Challenge magazine! ;)

So Earth/Cybertech was not my favourite supplement (still bought it of course, you know how addiction works). But I was delighted to get some info about 23rd century Earth.

If I was to play 2300AD again, I'd probably try to return it to that challenging, yet optimistic atmosphere of a "Stutterwarp-powered 19th century". No hegemonic nation, but a bunch of first-Tier rivals with the same urge to explore, colonize, and make their flag looking this much bigger and this much brighter, playing the Great Game in the vastness of space and limiting armed conflict to skirmishes and short wars with clear, non-zero sum game objectives.

An alternative setting I'd like to explore would be 2290AD: before, during and after the Franco-German war. Lots of diplomatic intrigue ; lots of military action ; lots of postwar realignment issues. Laurent Esmiol on Etranger wrote a whole sourcebook about the Dunkelheim campaign against the Kafers, I would have loved to read one about the Franco-German conflict, particularly if written by a multinational team of writers.

I see it as essentially having a 1980s/early 1990s retro-futuristic aesthetic, in keeping with when the setting first came out. Everything has a boxy and angular Cassette Futurism aesthetic, a lot of the tech has Zeerust stylings, the soundtrack should be synthesizer-heavy, and many concepts from 80's Cyberpunk and other Science Fiction of the time are played completely straight.

Wanna change the game?

Change the map.

The 7.2 radioactive dump limit gets broken.

The Land Rush, and new aliens and interactions, is ON.

The culture of the French Empire is more Afro-Franco than French thanks to generations of cultural and demographic mixing and fusion with France and its African regions to the point that around half of proper France's population is biracial or of mixed ancestry.

When you write Space Opera, do you mean the genre or the FGU game?
Both. I ran a Space Opera campaign for a long time, and then went back to Traveller. We used it as a sourcebook. My players and I like games full of derring-do, and High Adventure.

I reshaped the Earth using my knowledge of my regional Economics, Ethnographics and Politics, for starters Indonesia is far less intact, West Papua, Bali, Timor and a bunch of micro nations broke away, some where reconcurred others remained independent, PNG collapsed and didn't take north Queensland and lost a number of outlying island chains.

in North America in part to reflect one of our T2K games Southern California remained and even absorbed the Baja, for a wile after the war parts of Nevada and Arizona where nominally part of California till they where given over to the US and Mexico, even in 2300 California is a semi-independent territory of the US, DC tries to treat them as a State but they act as a semi-independent country even dividing itself in to almost state like regions.

Back