• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Look, a Snub Pistol...

In theory, our (more lethal) snub pistols should be able to achieve that with gas pellets.

As with gause pistols, the gas could be included in the clip.

Snub means short, i.e. snub-nosed = short barrel, i.e. low muzzle velocity.

There is nothing intrinsically non-lethal about the Snub Pistol, it does more damage and penetrates better than a regular revolver with explosive ammo (4D damage). It can fire Tranq, but so can a rifle... It's still a conventional gun-powder gun.

LBB4, p37:
Skärmavbild 2023-09-27 kl. 09.35.png

I guess we could build it today, it would just be banned by the Geneva Convention (explosive ammo).

It leverages that, but moreso the ten millimetre calibre.

Since I'm not a ballistics expert, I can't judge how much damage a seven gramme bullet does at one hundred fifty metres per second.

As regards to pistol versus revolver, it would depend on intended purpose.

There is nothing intrinsically non-lethal about the Snub Pistol, it does more damage and penetrates better than a regular revolver with explosive ammo (4D damage). It can fire Tranq, but so can a rifle... It's still a conventional gun-powder gun.

LBB4, p37:
View attachment 3935

I guess we could build it today, it would just be banned by the Geneva Convention (explosive ammo).
I treat that round as sort of a mini-grenade launcher, often stick a HEAT round on SMGs or the like.

I have a near Earth future setting so Geneva still matters. Strictly used for breaching, so the war crimes courts are told.

I have an extra nasty extralegal round based on the APHE concept. Higher pen and extra damage.

So the question would be, if at the stated technological level, the snub ten millimetre bullet can act as a delivery vehicle for the listed ammunition/payload.

It's basically a gyrojet ammo pistol (has to be because of the zero-g mention). It's less of a CPR slug thrower (like most pistols, which all have enough recoil to be zero-g problematic) and more of a "pocket rocket launcher" that just so happens to be pistol sized and have a pistol form factor. It's also described as being a revolver (wheel gun) for security work, rather than a magazine fed automatic pistol (which is the combat version).

The TL8 snub pistol uses a low velocity cartridge/bullet. The accelerator weapons of TL9 is when the round becomes a rocket.
Snub Pistol: The snub pistol is a low velocity revolver designed for use on shipboard and in a
zero-G environment. It fires 10mm, 7 gram bullets at velocities of 100 to 150 meters per second.
No magazine is used, six individual cartridges being inserted into the revolver separately.
Accelerator Rifle: Designed specifically for zero -G combat, the accelerator rifle fires a
6 mm, 5 gram bullet at an initial muzzle velocity of 100 to 150 meters per second which upon
leaving the barrel is accelerated by a secondary propelling charge to velocities of 700 to 800
meters per second.
I think just about everyone has come up with the combination weapon (snub warheads on AR rockets) but it was nice to see it become official.

COecKCmWcAAno41.jpg:small

You might want to look at the stated muzzle velocity... It is in the range of a Paintball gun. Thus gun cotton, air, or something else that provides the Oomph is irrelavant.

I think if you one something current, I'd look at the Taurus Judge, which is a revolver that shoot 45 Colt and .410 gauge cartridges. You could load that with anything, but it's not a particularly small pistol.

You can build a zero-recoil pistol. It's already a thing. You use lower velocity ammunition, add a muzzle brake, recoil buffer, etc.

For a snub pistol, you'd use a heavier round at a much lower velocity making up for the latter with the weight of the former, much as black powder weapons did.

IMHO the one shown here lacks the main advantage of the Snub Pistol in Traveller: being revolver type, you can select wich ammo to use at each firing (an automatic pistol would need to select it when loading it).

Since I'm not a ballistics expert, I can't judge how much damage a seven gramme bullet does at one hundred fifty metres per second.

I guess that's why they use explosive ammo, not purely kinetic one, when intended to be lethal.

As per reference toe Geneva convention in use of explosive ammo, this would not preclude to build the pistol and to be used legaly, just the ammo. It would make a good non-letal weapon with tranq (or even gas1) rounds.

Note 1: Yes, I know the Convention also forbids the use of toxic gases in war, but tear gas is worldwide used by LEOs

IMHO the one shown here lacks the main advantage of the Snub Pistol in Traveller: being revolver type, you can select wich ammo to use at each firing (an automatic pistol would need to select it when loading it).

I guess that's why they use explosive ammo, not purely kinetic one, when intended to be lethal.

As per reference toe Geneva convention in use of explosive ammo, this would not preclude to build the pistol and to be used legaly, just the ammo. It would make a good non-letal weapon with tranq (or even gas1) rounds.

Note 1: Yes, I know the Convention also forbids the use of toxic gases in war, but tear gas is worldwide used by LEOs
My understanding is that things like hollow point rounds are illegal for war but legal for LE. Treaties cover wars, hollow point can be better for LE due to limiting over penetration and stopping ability in pistol rounds.

Question mark possibly if LE is using tear gas or hollow points on rebellions/insurgencies.

Question mark possibly if LE is using tear gas or hollow points on rebellions/insurgencies.

We first should define rebellion and insurgence...

But that would probably be for the Pit

Back