• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 0.9 Errata Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page 288: 04 Hull Tons and Costs>B Pod Costs Table

Pod costs for configurations C & B follow the same linear progression as hulls up to pod A5 and then diverge. This results in a 99 ton pod costing more than a 100 ton hull of the same configuration. Suggest that the cost for pods from A5 up be adjusted to correct this.

Pod costs for configurations U, S, and L increase too slowly to correspond to hulls of the same configuration such that a 99 ton pod is MUCH cheaper than a 100 ton hull of the same configuration.

Wound Badges do not provide mods for promotion (per p48)
Yes, this is a contradiction. Hemdian's flowcharts here in the forums assume that WBs do count as a mod for promotion in all 3 military careers, and that's what I assumed in my recent T5 chargen app.

Page 293: Armor Tech Level Stage Effects

This table of stages includes a column labeled "Mod". The original core rules had a note that explained that this is the effect on AV for the armor layer. Suggest that the note be re-added or that "Mod" be changed to "AV".

Page 330: Orion Drives Table

The tech level columns in this table are not labeled.

The tech level for the Orion 2bis drive should be 17, not 18, to match the Orion Drive table data on page 331.

Page 294: Drive Tech Level Availability

This table is missing entries for the Orion 1, Orion 2, Orion 2bis, Orion 3, and Thruster drives.

Data for the Thruster drive can be derived from Table T on page 331 but this is not the case for the Orion drives as Table O on page 331 combines all 4 Orion drive types into a single table and does not show all the potentials for each type.

Logical satellite sizes

In section G of world generation, it is possible to generate a satellite that is the same size or LARGER than the original body.

It would seem logical to limit the size of the satellite, or POSSIBLY to make the larger body the main planet or body, and change the original world to a satellite of that body.

Some sort of note, clarification, or logical fix would seem to be in order.

Also, the key word in this discussion is SATELLITE. I use the common astronomical definition wherein a satellite is a natural body that revolves around a planet. Essentially, a moon.

Last edited:
Page 295: Example 2

Example 2. At TL12, maximum Jump for the drive is (Table W) Jump-3. The builders acquire a Generic Jump Drive-D TL13 with the same tonnage, Efficency=90%, Fuel Requirement= 1.1. The Drive can produce Jump-4 while costing only MCr12.5. The ship, assuming a Power Plant with equal potential, requires 4 x 10% x 200 x 1.1 tons = 88 tons of fuel for a Jump-4.
Using the formula for potential:

P = 2 * efficiency * driveEP/shiptons

the Generic stage with efficiency 90% cannot achieve Jump 4. Suggest the following changes to the example:

Example 2. At TL12, maximum Jump for the drive is (Table W) Jump-3. The builders acquire an Improved Jump Drive-D TL13 with the same tonnage, Efficency=110%, Fuel Requirement= 0.9. The Drive can produce Jump-4 at the same cost. The ship, assuming a Power Plant with equal potential, requires 4 x 10% x 200 x 0.9 tons = 72 tons of fuel for a Jump-4.

Page 405 - worlds

In the WORLDS section on page 405, Inner Worlds and Outer worlds are defined twice.

Suggest removing the second instance of each, located in the section listing Planetoids, RadWorlds, and so on.

Page 299 - C Sensor Mounts Table

The note at the bottom of the table states:

Deployable. In addition to Turret or Barbette costs.

This should also apply to Extendable so the suggested change to the note is:

De and Ext. In addition to Turret or Barbette costs.

The Weapon Mounts table on page 301 and the Defense Mounts table on page 303 have the same problem.
Also the Sensor Mounts table on page 361.

Last edited:
Pages 298 & 352: Sensors Chart

The Sound Sensor icon in these charts indicates TL 10 availability but it should actually be TL 7.

See: A Sensors Table on page 299, 4 The Specialized Sensors Table on page 359, and Y Sound Sensor paragraph title on page 359.

The Sound Sensor icon in these charts indicates TL 10 availability but it should actually be TL 7.

See: A Sensors Table on page 299, 4 The Specialized Sensors Table on page 359, and Y Sound Sensor paragraph title on page 359.

It actually should be Tech Level 5, circa World War One period. Directional hydrophones were in use by the end of the war, while submarine bells had been used prior to the war to warn of underwater dangers. Directional sound locaters for aircraft detection ware also in use prior to the end of the war, using a battery of cones on a pivot for both bearing and elevation. Triangulation between two or more detection stations could give an approximate position of the aircraft or Zeppelin. I would have to check and see when the Submarine Signal Company started up in the US.

The following is the text description of the sensor.

Sound Sensor is an external audio pickup capable of sensing a wide variety of sounds. It operates only in atmosphere (or under water).

@Agorski: I see what you mean about the Sound Sensor being TL7.

How about we recommend the sound sensor, in the sensors chart as well as the Ship Component, be adjusted to TL8. In this way, the "experimental" version of the sound sensor is TL5. Win-win.

Detector Chart, page 633.

Sound Sensor is listed as Tech Level 8. Hmm, that makes three different Tech Levels for it so far.

Compass is listed at Tech Level 3. I guess Columbus was just using a figment of his imagination then.

Pressure Gauge is listed at Tech Level 6. I guess all of the pressure gauges on steam boilers in the 1850s were simply decorations.

Camera is Tech Level 5. All of the Matthew Brady Civil War photos are fake, right?

Radar is Tech Level 9. I guess the British Air Defense system during the Battle of Britain was just really lucky at figuring out where the Germans were. The same for the US Navy in the Pacific when it came to picking up incoming Japanese aircraft, and for night-fighting in the Solomons area in 1943 and 1944. Then there is Surigao Strait during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Telescope is Tech Level 5. I guess Galileo had really good eyes to see the satellites of Jupiter.

Oh, and on the same page but not in the chart is Rope, Tech Level 3. I am not sure what you would then call all of the coils of something found in Egyptian tombs. Extra Thick Thread maybe. Extra Thick Manila Hemp thread dates from somewhere before 2000 B.C. or so.

Then there is the Machete, Tech Level 4 (circa 1900 A.D.), and at 125 Credits no less. I am pretty sure that the Spanish were using the Bolo in the Philippines by around 1600 if not earlier.

@Agorski: I see what you mean about the Sound Sensor being TL7.

How about we recommend the sound sensor, in the sensors chart as well as the Ship Component, be adjusted to TL8. In this way, the "experimental" version of the sound sensor is TL5. Win-win.
It's probably OK at TL7. Alexander Graham Bell was TL4. :)

Page 354: Identifying Space Sensors Table

The second to last example, Mod AR Bay Radar-11, shows a cost MCr 5.5. It should actually be MCr 6.

T5 makes inconsistent use of the terms "small gas giant" and "large gas giant."

The table on p 413 lists the breakpoint between sizes N and P. This is echoed in the forms on page 442-456.

However, this is contradicted by the definitions on page 678, in which large gas giants are defined as "similar in size to Jupiter or larger," which would be size T+, and small gas giants are defined as "similar in size to Saturn or smaller," which would be size R-. This implies the breakpoint is size S.

The example of world creation on page 406 seems to use the latter breakpoint, as size Q is considered a small gas giant.

This is important because the lower breakpoint makes SGGs fairly rare (only 8.3% of all gas giants), which in turn makes ice giants "every second SGG" extremely rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back