• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Updated: Traveller Universe Creator

Hi there. Thanks so much for this. The generator appears to work; I am able to upload the 2 sector files to Travellermap and it produces the png file properly. However, when I run the browser I get a stream of error messages in the cmd window. Sorry!

Hey - half way there! Let me take another look at what I uploaded. Does the cmd screen disappear when it crashes or stay open?

EDIT - update - got the same result when I tried it on a second pc. This is good news as I can troubleshoot now. OK. Should have another crack at the browser app ready soon - hope tomorrow

Last edited:
The cmd window disappears after the error messages. Also, what exactly do you mean by download the db browser?

Thanks again for your help with this!

> Also, what exactly do you mean by download the db browser?

Check out the third post in this thread.

The filepath in the browse_sector app. It's pointing at one of your github folders instead of at our own folder we downloaded to.

There is nothing better than sitting down to debug a problem only to find someone else have the answer waiting for you.

Thank you @ShawnDriscoll. You are, of course, 100% correct. I had hardcoded a filepath. Ouch.

New zip file uploaded (only the browse_sector.exe changed).

Try it out and let me know how it goes.

There is nothing better than sitting down to debug a problem only to find someone else have the answer waiting for you.

Thank you @ShawnDriscoll. You are, of course, 100% correct. I had hardcoded a filepath. Ouch.

New zip file uploaded (only the browse_sector.exe changed).

Try it out and let me know how it goes.
OK I tried the updated exe. The generator works, but I'm not sure the browser is working entirely. It appears to work, but when I hit "Find Earth Like", nothing happens. There are also some error messages in cmd. I hope this helps you!

TUC Browser Error Messages.png

Thanks, that is expected behaviour at this point. Find Earth Like is not currently operational with v.0.9. So it looks like you have what the rest of us do. Enjoy.

I just kept picking other worlds until I found one with all the things in it. Makes me want to open up my GURPS Traveller sourcebooks to mine ideas from. I'd almost forgotten I had all the Traveller books from that system.

I never played GURPS Traveller (or even GURPS) but love the sourcebooks.

I unintentionally broke the "Find Earth" when I started rethinking what I want for that panel. I think I want a "Find X" but not sure exactly what or the best way to do it. In my mind there is, like a large checklist with a bunch of options (breathable/non breathable, gravity type, temperature or climate) and then you choose them and they light up. I need to think about it more.

I did add all those icons so you could just BAM see what was there. I was tired of scrolling through numbers in the DB.

Thanks, that is expected behaviour at this point. Find Earth Like is not currently operational with v.0.9. So it looks like you have what the rest of us do. Enjoy.
OK well thanks again for this. It's really a great app.

BTW is there a way to customize the allegiance options?

Thanks for the kind words Daneel.

>BTW is there a way to customize the allegiance options?

Not yet, BUT, if you get the DB Browser you can always go in and manually change what you want for now. Changing the allegiance won't hurt anything. Same thing with the xml files created for TravellerMap.

Also - if you are looking for specific types of planets (certain atmos or whatever) spending a few minutes in the DB Browser app will demonstrate how easy it is to search the database without knowing any coding. It kind of works like an Excel column filter. That is how I find something when I look for it.

Wow! A year later and tons of improvements! Nice work. Thought I'd come down and point out the oddest thing... running it through the standard TM PosterMaker.
>It seems that the "Ix" indicator is showing up in the poster? See attached image.

Attachments

• TUC_ix.jpg
    TUC_ix.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 17
Hey Kilgs, thanks for the nice comments. And you are right. Sometimes I forget other people use my programs and I just add stuff without comment. Apologies. I think what I did was force the routes to connect wherever a planet has an Ix above a certain number, and I wanted to mark those systems so I could see them. So those are being flagged as high ix ratings and using the instructions on travellermap I had them called out in big red letters.

If you look at the xml being created in your folder you can always modify that so they don't show it if you so choose. Travellermap instructions for modifying custom maps are tres cool and I highly encourage builders of universes to spend some time learning them to customize your own maps.

THank you for the quick response. I have been known to torture the TravMap code myself so now that I know where to look... much obliged!

(On a side note, why is the placement chance rated on a 1-6? Is there a mathy/codey reason?)

> (On a side note, why is the placement chance rated on a 1-6? Is there a mathy/codey reason?)

Nah. I think I took it from Classic Traveller, where one die roll was used to decide on the placement back in the day. It might be something to go back and update with whatever T5 and Mongoose use.

Back