• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Updated: Traveller Universe Creator

Ohh that is interesting. I may get that and add some more details to the systems.
That could be a lot of detail... If you've got T5 covered, then I believe you have more than enough for mapping large swathes of space. That said, detailed individual systems, and the detailed social descriptions coming out of the DGP World Builders Handbook are still very useful.

That could be a lot of detail... If you've got T5 covered, then I believe you have more than enough for mapping large swathes of space. That said, detailed individual systems, and the detailed social descriptions coming out of the DGP World Builders Handbook are still very useful.
Yes. I imagine myself tinkering with this forever, always tweaking and adding. It comes down to what do I want to have created and waiting for a referee, and what does a referee want to leave for a blank canvas.

Does it require a Windows Python environment or any Python environment?
I mean I am willing to give it a go in another, but before I jump in I thought I'd ask outright.

I have managed to whip up a quick and dirty .exe version of the file. […] Alas I think this only works for Windows PCs. I have not yet figured out how to build an exe on a Mac product using a Windows machine.
If you’re using PyInstaller to create the install_sector.exe distribution, then it’s only able to create a distribution for the OS + Python combination that matches the environment where PyInstaller is run. Thus, the Windows version of PyInstaller can only create a distribution for Windows. Creating an analogous install_sector distribution (without the .exe suffix) for macOS using PyInstaller would require its creation on a machine running macOS, and creating a distribution for Linux would require its creation on a machine running Linux.

It looks like the current version of PyInstaller (6.2.0 at this writing) only runs in Windows 8 or newer or macOS 10.15 or newer, so the created distributions would also have these minimum OS requirements for installation. Linux doesn’t seem to have a documented minimum version requirement, but it does require the presence of its ldd and objdump executables; the former is typically in the glibc or libc-bin packages, and the latter is typically in the binutils package.

I use Macos 10.15+ and Linux, so I shall knuckle down and try an install for Macos and report back, followed by Linux. Or maybe vice versa.
Looking forward to this.

I use Macos 10.15+ and Linux, so I shall knuckle down and try an install for Macos and report back, followed by Linux. Or maybe vice versa.
Looking forward to this.
Marvellous! please layout the Mac steps for this uninitiated fan, Thanks

I mean I am willing to give it a go in another, but before I jump in I thought I'd ask outright.
Just needs a windows environment now. The install builds an EXE.

Actually now that I re-read your question, the installer is what requires windows. If you have a python environment in MacOS then the raw scripts should work, in theory.

Actually now that I re-read your question, the installer is what requires windows. If you have a python environment in MacOS then the raw scripts should work, in theory.
It does, but I lack the talent to tackle a project like this without either a Mac installer, sigh, or a step by step script.

Well ... I've got Python 2.7 running under osx10.10, Yosemite :). If by environment, you mean a development app/tool, then no, not yet. Suggestions for going forward?

Well ... I've got Python 2.7 running under osx10.10, Yosemite :). If by environment, you mean a development app/tool, then no, not yet. Suggestions for going forward?
Well, I used 3.x to build it. If you can get a 3.x environment running I am happy to help you get it up and running. I don't have OSX experience but I am sure we could figure it out. By environment, I just mean you can run a python script.

I gather I first install MacPorts, then when it's happy, use MacPorts to install Python 3?
Any known downsides to this setup, such as incompatibilities with low-level tools like Soundflower?
BTW, thanks for your patience with this

Download Python 3.11 for MacOS.
3.12 is too new still.

After that go to YouTube to see how to install python modules for Mac. You will need to download those also.
You'll need PySimpleGUI, pandas, matplotlib.

I gather I first install MacPorts, then when it’s happy, use MacPorts to install Python 3?
Yup. See here for details on installing MacPorts, or follow the sequence below:
  1. Open a Terminal window, where the relevant commands below will be run.
  2. Install Yosemite’s command-line developer tools if they’re not already installed: xcode-select --install
  3. Run Software Update from the Apple menu in the menu bar to see if there are any updates available for the command-line developer tools; if there are, install the updates, and reboot if needed.
  4. Download the Yosemite MacPorts package installer (version 2.8.1 at this writing).
  5. Run the downloaded package installer.
  6. If necessary, edit the .profile file in your user’s home directory to add the following lines at the end of the file:

_pyfw="/opt/local/library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11"
    PATH="/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:${_pyfw}/bin:${PATH}"
    MANPATH="/opt/local/share/man:${_pyfw}/share/man:${MANPATH}"

These lines will let your computer be able to find MacPorts executables and manual pages, which by default are installed under the /opt/local directory. (I’m presuming that you’d prefer to install Python 3.11 instead of Python 3.12.)
  7. Log out, then log back in, so that the .profile file changes above take effect.
  8. Run sudo port -v selfupdate to download MacPorts’ most recent set of “Portfiles”, which are instructions on how MacPorts should build and install its software packages.
  9. Run sudo port install python311 py311-pandas py311-numpy py311-networkx py311-matplotlib py311-Pillow to install Python 3.11, pandas, numpy, NetworkX, Matplotlib, and Pillow. Note that MacPorts will also automatically install any prerequisites that these ports require. (MacPorts also has a PyInstaller port, but it’s older than the version that the Traveller Universe Creator requires.) This could take a while, depending upon how many prerequisites need to be downloaded or compiled.
  10. MacPorts doesn’t have a port for PySimpleGUI, so perhaps Bartleby would advise you on the best way to separately download that and integrate it into the /opt/local directory hierarchy.
  11. If PyInstaller is required to run the Traveller Universe Creator, rather than just allow the creation of an installer for it, then you’ll need to separately download PyInstaller and integrate it into /opt/local also. If your goals include being able to create an installer for the Traveller Universe Creator, then one complication is that the current version of PyInstaller has a default oldest deployment target of Catalina (macOS 10.15), which means that Yosemite is not by default a valid deployment target. However, the PyInstaller changelog notes that starting with PyInstaller 4.0, end users can override MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET and mmacosx-version-min via environment variables, so an oldest deployment target of Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) could be configured instead, which would include Yosemite.
  12. At this point, you should have all of the prerequisites of the Traveller Universe Creator installed on your computer. If you’ve created an installer for Lion and above, you could use Option 1 (“From the installer”) on its Github page; if you haven’t created an installer, or prefer to not use the installer, you could use Option 2 (“From the code”) on that page. Bartleby is the best person to advise you here.
  13. Every now and again, run sudo port -v selfupdate to get the latest set of Portfiles, and then run port outdated to see if any of your installed ports need to be upgraded. If so, then run sudo port upgrade outdated to upgrade the outdated MacPorts ports (which will make the outdated ports inactive), and then run sudo port uninstall inactive to delete the inactive ports.
If you find that I’ve forgotten to include something in the first nine steps above, let me know — it’s been a good while since I’d first installed MacPorts on my computer.

Any known downsides to this setup, such as incompatibilities with low-level tools like Soundflower?
I’ve never used Soundflower, so I can’t speak to it particularly, but MacPorts doesn’t interfere with Karabiner, which is a low-level tool of a different type that I do use. My expectation is that MacPorts wouldn’t interfere with any macOS system extension, since MacPorts itself is not a system extension.

>If PyInstaller is required to run the Traveller Universe Creator, rather than just allow the creation of an installer for it,

PyInstaller is only used for the EXE creation. So anyone who is running the scripts directly will not need it. Since that EXE was written for Windows machines it is no use here. Step 11 can be skipped and we will just run the script.

Back