• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Updated: Traveller Universe Creator

Or just make it 1-10 which any idiot (me) can figure out and it provides a good spread. Asking me what a 5/6 sector would look like makes me go cross-eyed.

It is an excellent point. I have to decide if I am picking a system or inventing a new one. The 5/6 sector only made sense to me because that was how I did it in 1984, with a literal die roll. And when I started coding this I assumed I would be the only one who would ever use it, so I didn't think too much about it.

So yeah, there is nothing wrong with moving it to 1-10 for people whose minds were not warped by CT, but it might be worth my learning Mongoose and T5 to see what they do. I should say I own both and have read them both, but have not looked in a while.

Or you could use the language T5 does... Rift, Sparse, Scattered etc. Those are percentages (and possibly 2d12). No idea but 1/6 just makes me go... wha?

I program user interfaces in numbers or in descriptions, depending on my haste. I may come back to some old code and touch it up if I don't remember the references that were used. For T5.10, I have to open the book to see what I was coding about if it's been awhile.

A new update! V1.0 is now complete. After years of work I finally have a workable and somewhat complete program.

The program also comes with a simple exe file, so anyone with a Windows pc can install and run without having to know anything about programming or Python run time environments.

While I am mostly proud of the program, there are some things that did not work out quite the way I had hoped (like the map on the right of the browser). I will consider if/how I want to change that.

A video walking through installation for non-techies here:

A video walking through the features of the latest version here:

The program and source code can be found here:

A new update! V1.0 is now complete. After years of work I finally have a workable and somewhat complete program.

The program also comes with a simple exe file, so anyone with a Windows pc can install and run without having to know anything about programming or Python run time environments.

While I am mostly proud of the program, there are some things that did not work out quite the way I had hoped (like the map on the right of the browser). I will consider if/how I want to change that.
Very cool!

I was wondering about doing that. I was not sure if anyone would be interested. In theory, we could load in a SEC file, create the rest of the system and all of the physical details, and go from there.

Most SEC files come from OTU sources, however, and everything else created would clearly not be OTU.

I'd be open to looking into it.

I run my own Traveller Universe, and to do mapping etc you need SEC files (tab delimetered not being easy on the eye).
At present I just detail the systems that I'm interested in, but to do them all in one go and have them in a data base for access would be awesome

So if I understand, you have SECs of homebrews, and would like to
(1) import them into the program so you get them in the database and the browser
(2) expand the details for some of the systems? Because you expanded some of the systems on your own?

The above should not be too difficult.

It might be easiest, to start anyway, to expand all of the systems automatically. I could also build an import file for expanded systems, but it might be faster for you to just generate new ones and change what you want in the database on your own.

OK let me look into an SEC import function.

This is very impressive. Are you able to assemble a URL and send it to a web browser? TravellerWorlds (see link in my signature) accepts URLs with GET data and generates world details. Documentation is under View > API Documentation. This is what TravellerMap uses to generate more detail for a star system.

This is very impressive. Are you able to assemble a URL and send it to a web browser? TravellerWorlds (see link in my signature) accepts URLs with GET data and generates world details. Documentation is under View > API Documentation. This is what TravellerMap uses to generate more detail for a star system.
I am a big fan of TravellerWorlds and did not consider your API. This is a great idea and something I will look into, thank you.

Today I started reading through the MegaTraveller World Builders Handbook. It has some interesting planet data ideas to incorporate into my sector gen app. Mongoose is doing such a book for their Traveller. And it seems to be using the same math that DGP used.

Today I started reading through the MegaTraveller World Builders Handbook. It has some interesting planet data ideas to incorporate into my sector gen app. Mongoose is doing such a book for their Traveller. And it seems to be using the same math that DGP used.
Ohh that is interesting. I may get that and add some more details to the systems.

> (On a side note, why is the placement chance rated on a 1-6? Is there a mathy/codey reason?)

Nah. I think I took it from Classic Traveller, where one die roll was used to decide on the placement back in the day. It might be something to go back and update with whatever T5 and Mongoose use.
most editions use 1d6; Some, incl. CT, use 2d6 for rift

Back