• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Updated: Traveller Universe Creator

> MacPorts doesn’t have a port for PySimpleGUI, so perhaps Bartleby would advise you on the best way to separately download that and integrate it into the /opt/local directory hierarchy.

Offhand I don't have advice, but when you get this far we'll figure it out.

If PyInstaller is required to run the Traveller Universe Creator, rather than just allow the creation of an installer for it,
PyInstaller is only used for the EXE creation. So anyone who is running the scripts directly will not need it. Since that EXE was written for Windows machines it is no use here. Step 11 can be skipped and we will just run the script.
If MarcPolo is willing and able to perform step 11 to create a Traveller Universe Creator installer for macOS (i.e. for Yosemite and newer, since his computer runs Yosemite), then that installer could be uploaded to your Github site, so that other macOS users on Yosemite or newer could just download the macOS installer, rather than go through the same “From the code” process that he’ll need to do to create the macOS installer. (Since the MacPorts Python portions would be compiled for Yosemite, the PyInstaller environment variable overrides for MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET and mmacosx-version-min should be for 10.10 [Yosemite] also; no advantage would be gained by using 10.7 [Lion] overrides.)

Not done yet. But I discovered; I'm stuck on several fronts. E.g. I cannot upgrade to a compatible version of X-code (or cannot find the needed legacy link). I'm also just out of surgery, so this is moving slower than even my more pessimistic estimates. Not done, just delayed again. Cd be this stale os version not the way forward. I'll report in when I can

I hope that your recovery will be swift. Whenever you feel ready to take this on, try the following:

I’m stuck on several fronts. E.g. I cannot upgrade to a compatible version of X-code (or cannot find the needed legacy link). […] Cd be this stale os version not the way forward.
I’m still using an older macOS version than yours, so don’t give up hope yet.

If the xcode-select --install command isn’t working from Terminal on your computer, then an alternative approach would be to download the command-line development tools installer directly from Apple in your browser. To do that, use your Apple ID to log in at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action ; using the search pane there, enter “command line tools”, then select the appropriate Yosemite-targeted .dmg package to download.

Once you’ve downloaded the command-line development tools installer and have run it, run the xcode-select -p command in Terminal; if it has installed correctly, that command will show the folder in which it has been installed, and you’ll be able to continue from step 3 in the previously posted list.

Please note that in my last reply, the link to the MacPorts 2.9.0 Yosemite installer is incorrect; the correct link is here.

Some small additions to the browse_sector app.

You can now
  1. Click a button and open Traveller Worlds via an API to see a World Map (as recommended by @OjnoTheRed).
  2. Click a button and open an image of the sector thanks to the API to travellermaps. You don't have to use the awkward html I created
Some quick notes:

1) Not of all of the details on the Traveller World site will match my world. We used different algorithms to create the worlds so while Traveller details will be the same, things like temperature and gravity will be different. But it can be fun to have a map made and ready to go. I used the random seed function so you should always see the same planet when you click on the button for that planet

2) This is only available on the browse_sector.py file right now. It has not yet been bundled into a new install exe.

3) I am looking at building an import function, so you can create your own sector outside of my algorithm, and load it into a database and browse it with my tools.

Back