• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why Did You Use A Different System To Play Traveller?

CP and Interlock were both on my list while I was shopping for a new system before landing on HG/JC. But the idea of building all of the space ship stuff was too daunting.

With Silhouette, everything in Traveller (2d6 rules) ports over without a problem... because I'm lazy and it worked for once!

Yeah, I flipped over to Full Thrust for ship combat (actual FT, not PP) and just kinda otherwise treat ships as scenery.

D.

I played with a group which switched to Starfire (adding a jump drive) for ships. Didn't play too long with them. They were decidedly unhappy with my B7 merchant having Broker 3 and Trader 4, and no other skills... not even Gun Combat 0. (Started at Sector Line level...)

So our group plays Traveller ising the FATE rules system (https://fate-srd.com/fate-core). FATE is super forgiving and is not nearly as deadly as Traveller RAW, and our GM had to homebrew economic stuff because FATE doesn't really deal with financial stuff in any detail, and the way it worked for spaceship combat was very unlike canonical Traveller space combat. If Traveller space combat is like 16-1700's-era naval combat, FATE brought it up to 2000. It turned out to be a lot of fun, though after 4 years, our original group got way too powerful, and for the last few years, we've been playing characters that are peripheral to that original main group. As to the why, I was not consulted, but my understanding is that the GM liked the greater flexibility and lesser degree of rules crunchyness FATE offers.

Back